Teacher Davis

Teacher Davis

Monday, November 12, 2012

Turkey Day 2012



Time for Thanksgiving!

Over the next few classes, I have the privilege of singing not only traditional children's songs and originals I've composed but also a couple of Turkey Day tunes.  One of them, "The Turkey Ran Away," I found in a book I've had for quite a while, and it's just a silly song about the turkey and other Thanksgiving staples sprinting out of the house before they are served for the holiday dinner.

I also like to sing about Thanksgiving's special meaning, so this year I composed a song called "Thankful:"

Sometimes when I'm feeling sad
I think of everything I have
Then I start to feel so glad
I begin to smile and even laugh

I've got a very caring family
And lots of friends that are dear to me
I'm proud of all my hopes and dreams
And those things make me feel happy

I am thankful, thankful for so much
I am thankful, thankful to you
I am thankful that you're in my life
I am thankful for all you do

And, of course, I get to bring "Tommy Turkey" with me, a toy that's so rare I don't think they make anything like this anymore!  You press his left wing, and he gobbles and says, "What's for dinner? Well, howdy pilgrim!  Eat ham, thank you!  I'm stuffed!  Thanks for giving!"

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!  I'll be enjoying it with friends, family and food and being extremely thankful for the blessings in my life, one of which is singing songs at so many schools and seeing children learn through music.

No comments:

Post a Comment